The 2000 NHL Expansion Draft was held on June 23, 2000 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The draft took place to fill the rosters of the league's two expansion teams for the 2000-01 NHL season: the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Minnesota Wild.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Twenty-six of the 28 teams existing in the league at the time of the draft were each allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen, and seven forwards.
For teams protecting only one goaltender, there was no experience requirement for those left unprotected.
For teams protecting two goaltenders, each goaltender left unprotected must have appeared in either 10 NHL games in the 1999–2000 season or 25 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined.
A goaltender had to be in net for at least 31 minutes in each game for the game to be counted against these totals.
At least one defenceman left unprotected by each team had to have appeared in at least 40 games in the 1999–2000 season or 70 games in the 1998–99 season and 1999–2000 seasons combined.
At least two forwards left unprotected by each team had to have met the same requirements.
Fifty-two players were chosen in the draft, two from each participating franchise. Only one goaltender or one defenseman could be selected from each franchise.
Both the Blue Jackets and the Wild were to use their first 24 selections on three goaltenders, eight defensemen and thirteen forwards. The final two picks for each team could be any position.
Draft Results[edit | edit source]
|#||Player||Drafted from||Drafted by|
|1.||Rick Tabaracci (G)||Colorado Avalanche||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|2.||Jamie McLennan (G)||St. Louis Blues||Minnesota Wild|
|3.||Mike Vernon (G)||Florida Panthers||Minnesota Wild|
|4.||Frederic Chabot (G)||Montreal Canadiens||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|5.||Dwayne Roloson (G)||Buffalo Sabres||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|6.||Chris Terreri (G)||New Jersey Devils||Minnesota Wild|
|7.||Sean O'Donnell (D)||Los Angeles Kings||Minnesota Wild|
|8.||Mattias Timander (D)||Boston Bruins||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|9.||Bert Robertsson (D)||Edmonton Oilers||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|10.||Curtis Leschyshyn (D)||Carolina Hurricanes||Minnesota Wild|
|11.||Tommi Rajamaki (D)||Toronto Maple Leafs||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|12.||Ladislav Benysek (D)||Mighty Ducks of Anaheim||Minnesota Wild|
|13.||Chris Armstrong (D)||San Jose Sharks||Minnesota Wild|
|14.||Jamie Pushor (D)||Dallas Stars||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|15.||Filip Kuba (D)||Calgary Flames||Minnesota Wild|
|16.||Lyle Odelein (D)||Phoenix Coyotes||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|17.||Radim Bicanek (D)||Chicago Blackhawks||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|18.||Oleg Orekhovsky (D)||Washington Capitals||Minnesota Wild|
|19.||Mathieu Schneider (D)||New York Rangers||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|20.||Ian Herbers (D)||New York Islanders||Minnesota Wild|
|21.||Artem Anisimov (D)||Philadelphia Flyers||Minnesota Wild|
|22.||Jonas Junkka (D)||Pittsburgh Penguins||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|23.||Geoff Sanderson (LW)||Buffalo Sabres||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|24.||Stacy Roest (C)||Detroit Red Wings||Minnesota Wild|
|25.||Darryl Laplante (C)||Detroit Red Wings||Minnesota Wild|
|26.||Turner Stevenson (RW)||Montreal Canadiens||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|27.||Scott Pellerin (LW)||St. Louis Blues||Minnesota Wild|
|28.||Robert Kron (C)||Carolina Hurricanes||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|29.||Steve Heinze (RW)||Boston Bruins||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|30.||Jim Dowd (C)||Edmonton Oilers||Minnesota Wild|
|31.||Tyler Wright (C)||Pittsburgh Penguins||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|32.||Sergei Krivokrasov (RW)||Calgary Flames||Minnesota Wild|
|33.||Jeff Nielsen (RW)||Mighty Ducks of Anaheim||Minnesota Wild|
|34.||Kevyn Adams (C)||Toronto Maple Leafs||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|35.||Jeff Odgers (RW)||Colorado Avalanche||Minnesota Wild|
|36.||Dmitri Subbotin (F)||New York Rangers||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|37.||Steve McKenna (F)||Los Angeles Kings||Minnesota Wild|
|38.||Dallas Drake (RW)||Phoenix Coyotes||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|39.||Bruce Gardiner (C)||Tampa Bay Lightning||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|40.||Michal Bros (F)||San Jose Sharks||Minnesota Wild|
|41.||Joé Juneau (C)||Ottawa Senators||Minnesota Wild|
|42.||Barrie Moore (LW)||Washington Capitals||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|43.||Darby Hendrickson (C)||Vancouver Canucks||Minnesota Wild|
|44.||Martin Streit (F)||Philadelphia Flyers||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|45.||Kevin Dineen (RW)||Ottawa Senators||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|46.||Jeff Daw (C)||Chicago Blackhawks||Minnesota Wild|
|47.||Jeff Williams (LW)||New Jersey Devils||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|48.||Stefan Nilsson (F)||Vancouver Canucks||Minnesota Wild|
|49.||Zac Bierk (G)||Tampa Bay Lightning||Minnesota Wild|
|50.||Sergei Luchinkin (RW)||Dallas Stars||Columbus Blue Jackets|
|51.||Cam Stewart (LW)||Florida Panthers||Minnesota Wild|
|52.||Ted Drury (C)||New York Islanders||Columbus Blue Jackets|
Deals[edit | edit source]
In return for agreeing not to select certain unprotected players, the Blue Jackets and Wild were granted concessions by other franchises.
The trades not involving Blue Jacket or Wild draft picks were booked as being for "future considerations":
- San Jose traded Jan Caloun, a ninth-round pick (Martin Paroulek) in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft and a conditional pick (Aaron Johnson) in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft to Columbus on June 11, 2000 after the Blue Jackets agreed not to select Evgeni Nabokov.
- Buffalo traded Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre, Matt Davidson and two fifth-round draft picks (one each in the 2000 (Tyler Kolarik) and 2001 (Andreas Jamtin) Entry Drafts) to Columbus on June 23, 2000, after the Blue Jackets agreed not to select a goaltender from the Sabres.
- San Jose traded Andy Sutton, a seventh-round pick (Peter Bartos) in the 2000 Entry Draft and a third-round pick (later traded to Columbus - (Aaron Johnson) in the 2001 Entry Draft to Minnesota on June 11, 2000, for an eighth-round pick in the 2000 Entry Draft after the Wild agreed not to select Evgeni Nabokov.
Post-Draft[edit | edit source]
Several of the players selected by the Blue Jackets and Wild in the Expansion Draft did not stay with the teams long after the draft. In fact, several players were traded later in the same day:
- Turner Stevenson (traded to New Jersey to complete an earlier transaction)
- Mike Vernon (traded to Calgary for Dan Cavanaugh and an eighth-round pick (Joe Campbell) in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft)
- Chris Terreri (traded with a ninth-round pick (Thomas Ziegler) in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft to New Jersey for Brad Bombardir)
- Joe Juneau (traded to Phoenix for Rickard Wallin)
Other players who were no longer on the rosters of the teams which drafted them for the 1999–2000 season include the following:
- Dallas Drake (signed by St. Louis on July 1, 2000)
- Mathieu Schneider (signed by Los Angeles on August 13, 2000)
- Dwayne Roloson (signed with AHL's Worcester IceCats rather than joining Columbus)
- Jeff Odgers (claimed off waivers by Atlanta on September 29, 2000)