|Born||May 30, 1979 |
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight||225 lb (102 kg; 16 st 1 lb)|
|NHL Draft||80th overall, 1997|
Francis Lessard (born on May 30, 1979) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player. He is currently signed to a one-year contract with the Cornwall River Kings of Ligue Nord-Américaine de Hockey (LNAH).
He has played for the Atlanta Thrashers and Ottawa Senators of the NHL, but has spent most of his career in the AHL.
Francis is generally known as an enforcer for his physical style of play and his ability to protect his teammates during a game.
Francis was drafted from the QMJHL's Val-d'Or Foreurs. His rights were traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in 1999 while he was still at junior level.
He spent three seasons with their AHL affiliate the Philadelphia Phantoms before being traded to the Atlanta Thrashers.
With the Thrashers, Francis made his NHL debut during the 2001–02 season. During that season, he won the Calder Cup with the Chicago Wolves.
He played 91 games over four seasons with Atlanta before moving to the New York Rangers organization in 2006.
Francis played two seasons for the Hartford Wolf Pack of the AHL before signing with the Phoenix Coyotes in 2008.
He played for two seasons for the San Antonio Rampage of the AHL. In August of 2010, Francis signed with the Ottawa Senators.
|2006–07||Hartford Wolf Pack||AHL||58||3||6||9||309||—||—||—||—||—|
|2007–08||Hartford Wolf Pack||AHL||14||4||1||5||49||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||59||2||2||4||324||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||61||2||2||4||289||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Cornwall River Kings||LNAH||36||2||8||10||147||—||—||—||—||—|
- June 21, 1997: Drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes in the third round (80th overall) of the 1997 NHL Entry Draft.
- May 25, 1999: Traded by Carolina Hurricanes to the Philadelphia Flyers for an eighth-round selection (Antti Jokella).
- March 15, 2002: Atlanta Thrashers traded David Harlock and third-round (Tyler Redenbach) and seventh-round selections (Joe Pavelski) in 2003 to the Philadelphia Flyers for Francis.
- September 13, 2006: Invited by the New York Rangers to training camp.
- July 3, 2008: Signed as a free agent by the Phoenix Coyotes.
- August 8, 2010: Signed by the Ottawa Senators as an unrestricted free agent
Awards & Achievements
- 1997-98: Memorial Cup All-Star Team